Post-Operative Diet After Sleeve Gastrectomy
Post Oerative Diet After Sleeve Gastrectomy
1st Week – Clear Liquids Only
In 1st week the patient is limited to clear liquids only. The patient has very less desire to eat. The hunger hormone ghrelin is almost non-existent after surgery. The part of the stomach that produces the majority of ghrelin is removed during surgery.
Clear fluids that can be consume during 1st week are listed below, and all the item should be Sugar Free.
- Decaf Tea
- Decaf Coffee
- Sugar free Popsicles
- Sugar free drinks that are not carbonated.
Food that need to be avoided
- Carbonated Beverages
- Very sweet Beverages
2nd Week- Full Liquid Diet with Protein
During 2nd week the patient may feel some hunger pain. The patient should stick with their recommended diet. The diet in the 2nd week include all item from the 1st week plus
- Protein powder mixed with a sugar free non-carbonated clear fluid
- Sugar free Pudding
- Soup with soft Noodles
- Non Fat Yogurt
- Carnation instant breakfast
- Very thin creamed soup. No chunks
- Sugar free Sorbet
- Very watery hot oat meal.
- Diluted no-sugar added juice
- Sugar free, Non fat ice cream
- Thinned Applesauce.
3rd Week- Soft Pureed Foods
The 3rd week after the gastric sleeve surgery is tough. But the good news is that the patient can start adding some real food in their diet. Limitation of sugar and fat should be continued. The goal for 3 weeks includes:
- 60 grams of protein per day
- Eat Slowly
- Introduce new foods one by one.
The Foods listed below are for 3rd week after surgery.
- 1 protein shake per day. It can be blend with the yogurt or non-fat milk.
- Almond milk or coconut milk
- Cottage Cheese (Low Fat)
- Soft cereals
- Soft Vegetables
- Soft Cheese
- Ground Chicken
- Scrambled Egg
- Soft (Steamed) Fish
- Canned Tuna and Salmon
- Mashed Fruit- Banana, Avocados and canned fruit
- Starchy foods like pasta, rice and bread
- Fibrous vegetables like celery, broccoli, asparagus, raw leafy greens.
4th Week: After 4th week of surgery it’s now time to start introducing real foods. The Sleeve and the stomach are still sensitive so the food should be taken slowly and it should be chewed thoroughly.
The Foods listed below are for 4th week after surgery:
- Protein Shake to be continued
- Introduce chicken and red meat very slowly. Ensure it is chewed thoroughly
- Any type of fish
- Vegetables ( It is recommended that food is cook till it get soften)
- Sweet Potatoes
- Mashed and baked Potatoes
- Caffeine can be introducing but it should be limited.
- Fried Food
- Fibrous Vegetables
- Sugary Drinks
- Pastas and other high carbohydrate, low nutrient foods(Pizza)
- Whole milk and other whole milky dairy foods
- Hummus with rice crackers or softened carrots
- Hard Boiled egg
- Quarter cup of Oatmeal
- Quarter of a baked sweet potato
- Strawberries or fresh fruit
The food should be introducing one by one to see how they are tolerated. Patient should be careful about constipation, diarrhea, and upset stomach.
- Eat three small meals every day.
- Hydrate throughout the day.
- Stop Drinking fluids 30 minutes before each meal.
- Avoid snacking. Choose nutrient-dense food( Fruits, Vegetables, Nuts)
- Recommended Vitamins Should be taken
- Ensure 60 gram protein is taken
- Supplement daily with a protein shake
- Incorporate exercise into your daily routine, a habit should be developed.
- Avoid Sodas.
Dr. Rajiv Ranjan Kumar
May 23rd, 2020 5:50 pm
You’re a great teacher Dr Mishra! This content is very useful to review topics Post-Operative Diet After Sleeve Gastrectomy ,Very good Article with a clear and simple explanation! keep up the good work!
Dr. Tariq Aziz
May 23rd, 2020 5:57 pm
This Article is very helpful for doctors and patients. Thanks for sharing Post-Operative Diet After Sleeve Gastrectomy Surgery. You’re an amazing teacher! Thank you very much for the impact you’re making in our lives as Laparoscopic surgeon.
Dr. Bhaskar Chakravarti
May 23rd, 2020 6:03 pm
Excellent Task Analysis of Post-Operative Diet After Sleeve Gastrectomy surgery. This is very informative Task analysis for laparoscopic surgeon's. I have benefited after reading this Article.
Thanks for Sharing.
Thanks for Sharing.
Dr Nitish Kumar Yadav
May 23rd, 2020 6:08 pm
Dr. Mishra is a very knowledgeable professor with much experience in his field. His lectures are very interesting and full of information. Thanks for uploading the Task analysis of Post-Operative Diet After Sleeve Gastrectomy.It's really helpful for Laparoscopic surgeon's.
Dr. Ram Chandra Solanki
May 23rd, 2020 6:13 pm
Dr. R.K. Mishra is perfect in his explanations and demonstrations of the techniques using in Laparoscopy surgery. He's far far better than any other Laparoscopic surgeon's. I'm very grateful for these my.Task analysis of Post-Operative Diet After Sleeve Gastrectomy. Thanks for sharing this Article.
|Older Post||Home||Newer Post|