Dr Arun Prasad had his higher surgical training in England. After qualifying for his FRCS in 1990, he was working in the prestigious Charing Cross Medical School, London and associated Hospitals, before returning to India.
He graduated from Armed Forces Medical College, Poona in 1983 at the age of 21 years and subsequently got trained in Surgery at Maulana Azad Medical College and associated Teaching Hospitals (LNJP & GB Pant Hospitals), New Delhi.
He was part of the team that did the first Laparoscopic Gall Bladder operation in that hospital and since has been a pioneer in Laparoscopic, Thoracoscopic & Bariatric Surgery. Currently Senior Surgeon at Apollo Hospital, New Delhi since 1996 ( 1st USA - JCI accredited hospital in India ).
Achievements in Laparoscopic & Minimal Access Surgery
· He was one of the earliest surgeons in the World doing Laparoscopic Surgery for Gall Bladder.
· He devised his own technique for Laparoscopic Hernia repair that is recognised over the world in eminent medical journals.
· He has done the world’s first Laparoscopic operation of Gall Bladder fistula with the large intestine which too is recognised over the world in eminent medical journals.
· He has done the world’s first Thoracoscopic removal of Hydatid cyst of the lungs.
· He has been doing other complex and advanced laparoscopic operations for various abdominal and chest problems.
· He has conducted one of the first series in the world in 1994, showing the feasibility and safety of doing Laparoscopic gall bladder surgery and sending home on the same day.
· Before his return to India, he was one of the very few Indians who have had the honour to be a tutor in Laparoscopic Surgery in the courses conducted at The Royal College of Surgeons, London. Presently he is a tutor in Surgery for the Royal College of Surgeons of UK and also an examiner for MRCS conducted by the Royal College.
· He is also a Teacher for the Post Graduate Surgery - DNB by Govt of India and in Laparoscopic Surgery at - Ethicon Institute of Surgical Education, Mumbai and Delhi.
. One of the few surgeons doing ETS for Hyperhidrosis
. Robotic and Laproscopic Gastric bypass and Laparoscopic Gastric banding for Morbid Obesity ( Pioneer of robotic single anastomosis gastric bypass surgery in the world, has presented this at European, British and American forums )
After being appointed Senior Consultant at the age of 31 years, at present he is one of the world’s youngest surgeons with an experience of over 7000 laparoscopic operations. (Surgical experience of 29 years and Laparoscopic experience for 24 years)